Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
For those who don't know me my name is Stephen White and I am currently a student of Architecture at Northeastern University. Going to a school like Northeastern that incorporates the co-op program has really given me the opportunity to do things that I really love most in the world - that is, travel and experience cultures at vast scales and of unfathomable variation. I am currently in Barcelona, Spain working as an intern at DNA Architectos. However, I have a huge heart and passion for food, fashion, and culture as well, and as I find myself venturing out, alone or with new friends, I find myself falling more and more in love with the lovely sphere we call home. I hope that this blog will be both informative of my own travels as well as inspiration for others to not only travel to where I am, have gone, and will be going, but to find themselves dipping into new hobbies and passions, whatever those may be. Thanks for reading and enjoy!

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Goodbye to a co-worker, hello to another year under my belt!

Work has been work work work. Pressing deadlines for a huge competition project that DNA has entered into. The Hammamet Resort, being built in Tunisia has kept the office super busy for the past few weeks with our CEO, Aryanour, flying back and forth between Barcelona and Tunisia while all of the employees are pushing ourselves to our limits with design choices. The company who we are designing for seems to be pretty unsure of what they want, constantly switching back and forth between two different design proposals, often causing double deadlines for the office! Lots of running around, printing, design charetting, etc. Certainly keeps us busy which is good! I've been designing the landscape for that project along with helping out some smaller residential projects. Lots of AutoCAD and Photoshop for me!

In the midst of all the confusion, one of our employees, Xavi (pronounced Chavi - hooray for Catalan!) has decided to leave the firm to pursue his own career. So we had a farewell on friday with some Cava at the end of work and a "Bueno Suerte" for him and his achievements flying solo in the architecture world. And along with him leaving came a new member, Josep, also a Barcelona native so with one gone, another comes! I've been doing some interior work for Josep the past few days as well and its been going great. He's proven to be incredibly organized in his work ethics and its been nice to stray away from logos and marketing and get back into the nitty gritty of architecture.

In other news, I celebrated my 22nd birthday on May 5! 2-2 for me. I'm starting to feel old but am still 22 years young :) Feels great. My friends took me up to the W Hotel Eclipse bar for celebratory drinks. The lounge is on the 26th floor of the hotel which floats across out on the ocean looking like a shark fin gliding across the water.


everyone at the W for my 22nd!

The bar itself is super posh and the drinks were absolutely delicious so pictures to come from that adventure as well! My parents were nice enough to throw me some extra cash for a present which I decided to spend on yoga classes. This past week was my first week of classes and, as though as they have been, I have really really enjoyed them and they are not only improving my body and general health but my spanish as well! Jess decided to join me in the classes too so we are going 3 times a week now which has been great for us. Super excited to continue the classes throughout my stay here!

The weather has been so-so. Pretty rainy, cloudy and not as warm as I had expected it to be by May but hopefully it will improve soon so I can continue to catch some rays and keep my tan! Lots of friends are coming to visit soon which I'm very very excited about! I'm really missing my crew from back home! Also - congrats to all my 2010 Huskies who graduated last week as well! You guys are awesome and I'm really proud of all you!

No comments: