Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
For those who don't know me my name is Stephen White and I am currently a student of Architecture at Northeastern University. Going to a school like Northeastern that incorporates the co-op program has really given me the opportunity to do things that I really love most in the world - that is, travel and experience cultures at vast scales and of unfathomable variation. I am currently in Barcelona, Spain working as an intern at DNA Architectos. However, I have a huge heart and passion for food, fashion, and culture as well, and as I find myself venturing out, alone or with new friends, I find myself falling more and more in love with the lovely sphere we call home. I hope that this blog will be both informative of my own travels as well as inspiration for others to not only travel to where I am, have gone, and will be going, but to find themselves dipping into new hobbies and passions, whatever those may be. Thanks for reading and enjoy!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Marketing?

Work has gotten quite hectic here in the past few weeks and I've begun to take my work in the world of architecture to a whole new level. With architecture comes marketing, presentations, etc, however my recent tasks in the office are of a breed that I have little knowledge of.

An older project for Nice Fruit, a fruit company who has recently pattented a new technology of freezing fruits (lasting up to 3 years!), has just been reopened to the office and yours truly has been put in charge of the marketing aspects for the company. Although I have little experience with branding, marketing, etc., the other architects here in the office seemed to have confidence that I would be capable of developing a logo design for Nice Fruit so off I went.

I reopened the files of logo designs that had been completed previously by other architects in the office to gain a little perspective on what Nice Fruit really was asking me to design, but was told that the old logos werent exactly what Nice Fruit was looking for. They wanted something modern, chic, bright, colorful, childish, funny, witty, etc. So many words to toss into one tiny design for a logo.

Within the first few days of preliminary sketches I think I probably designed 40 different logos in various programs on the computer, some simple, some complex, some with bright colors, some black and white. I really didn't have much of a clue what I was doing so I went with my gut and designed variation after variation until I told my boss, Paolo, that I honestly was designed-out and I couldn't possibly think of fruit or logos for one more day. He laughed and took a look at my work and was surprisingly very pleased with what I had been doing. I was pretty much winging it due to lack in experience but he was happy with what I had done, so I was happy with it. And out of all the logos I had designed we chose two that will be presented to Nice Fruit tomorrow (April 30).

I still laugh about my first few days on the job because I literally designed myself to death. I would leave work unable to think about anything except logos. When I'd walk down the streets of Barcelona all I would see is logos and color choices, and I would ponder to myself about why the logo worked, why it didn't, what the design process could have been. Branding had officially taken over my brain.

The funniest part about it is, after the preliminary design process, and having to make the choice between all two hundred trillion designs, we ended up deciding on two of the most simple designs I had, one of which took approximately 3 minutes to construct on the computer.

But that's really what I have gained from this experienced in the world of Marketing. In a design field you design and design and overthink and plan and redesign and make hundreds of itterations of a design until it boils down to the most simple of forms and thats what you're looking for. In my eyes, my mind throughout this experience worked the same way as my mind when designing for studio back at Northeastern. I design and design and overdesign and think and rethink until my architecture boils down into something that is both functional and beautiful in its simplicity. Sometimes I get tired and lose sleep over the design of my building, just as I lost sleep over design of a logo about fruit. But at the end, I am always pleased with my work.

I find simplicity in design to be beautiful. I find simplicity to be sleek and modern. Though I have been working on designing a logo, I have simultaneously been training my brain to think simply, to not get ahead of itself, to make secure design decisions that are both easily comprehendable and understood by the masses.
(I would love to post my logo design for everyone to see, however, due to copyright laws, legally I cannot do so until my logo is released. And after all my hard work the last thing I want is for someone to steal my design!!!)

No comments: