Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
For those who don't know me my name is Stephen White and I am currently a student of Architecture at Northeastern University. Going to a school like Northeastern that incorporates the co-op program has really given me the opportunity to do things that I really love most in the world - that is, travel and experience cultures at vast scales and of unfathomable variation. I am currently in Barcelona, Spain working as an intern at DNA Architectos. However, I have a huge heart and passion for food, fashion, and culture as well, and as I find myself venturing out, alone or with new friends, I find myself falling more and more in love with the lovely sphere we call home. I hope that this blog will be both informative of my own travels as well as inspiration for others to not only travel to where I am, have gone, and will be going, but to find themselves dipping into new hobbies and passions, whatever those may be. Thanks for reading and enjoy!

Monday, March 8, 2010

around town and making new friends!

week 3

This week has been full of wandering the winding streets of Barcelona, working, exploring, shopping, and eating! Apart from working my normal hours in the office I was lucky to have Monday off (due to working Sunday for a deadline) so I used my day off to get lost and see where I'd end up!

There are tons of cafes and small markets to wander through full of smells of delicious produce. Meat markets, fruit vendors, flower shops, and chocolate stores fill the street fronts of the narrow roads around the city and every store has something different to offer! You can even buy an entire leg of pig to take home and shave into salami which is an excellent addition to any breakfast plate!



If its sweets that you're looking for there are incredible chocolates and candy stores sprinkled throughout the city. Si o Si is one of my favorite chain candy stores to stop at on the way home from work to grab some sugary snacks to munch on during the walk home! But of course, there are also super nice chocolate stores with all sorts of mixes of coconut, fruit bars, chocolate covered anythings, and indefinite possibilities to indulge the sweet tooth!


The area I live in, Raval, has two really incredible things. One is MacBa, the art museum as well as the San Antoni Market which has produce vendors on the weekends that are great for getting fruits and veggies to eat during the week! MacBa is quite the architectural turn - on. I have yet to visit the inside but will definitely be going in soon when a new exhibit is ready for viewing!

MacBa!

Mm so much to choose from!

Here's a bonfire on the street in Barcelona. They open every Placa up for bonfires and open cooking. All you have to do is bring your own meet and roasting stick!

Jess and Emma have been here for a month longer than I have so they've been showing me the ropes around here and taking me to some of their favorite local spots. The other morning Jess and I went to a cafe/bar called Quizo and had crepes and cafe con leche (coffee with milk) for breakfast. We walked up Las Ramblas and I bought some flowers to add a little more of a homey feeling to my flat!

at Quizo!

flower shopping on Las Ramblas!

No comments: